Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Actions Speak Louder

"Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't." - Steve Maraboli

In life, there are things you can change and there are things you cannot change. God is constantly reminding me to release my desire to control my circumstances to Him. But what about the things I can change?

I have recently felt very burdened both emotionally and spiritually by some circumstances that are out of my control. (surprise surprise) Fortunately, this time around I have also been met with some things in my life that I can change. Having something constructive to focus on somehow helps ease the pain of being wronged. I am always looking for what God is trying to teach me through trials, and He couldn't have made it any more clear to me this time.

You see, I can't control what people do to me or the people I love. I can control how I react to it. I never want to be known as the girl who gave up without exhausting every option possible. I was once crippled by fear of what would happen if I rocked the boat, but my Father has freed me from that. I have been called to live with purpose- a life without fear of being let down.

 "In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about you."
Titus 2:7-8

In the end, your actions will speak louder than your words. There is really no way around it. Note that Paul says we are to "set an example by doing what is good" not "set an example by saying all the right things". If you love someone, by all means say it, but don't just say it! Show them that you love them. Ultimately that will be what they remember.

People are paying attention. Don't ever think they aren't. There have been so many times in my life that God has sent me a reminder that any choice I make could influence someone else. It breaks my heart to pieces to think that my actions could give others a license to do something wrong. God has called me to a higher standard. He has called me to live intentionally. I never want to lose sight of that.

As cliche as it may sound, I can't seem to stop thinking about a quote from Gladiator. "What we do in life echoes in eternity". I believe that with all my heart. You and I have the power of life and death in our hands. We can build someone up with our actions and words, and we can tear them down even easier. We have a choice. We can talk, or we can do.

“Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.”
-Alfred Adler

No comments: